Southern Listeners

Loading
Thanks to Greenlava for this cool gadget. Get yours here

Friday, January 21, 2011

Blogger Comment Form Isn't Showing? - Place Multiple Comment Forms!


UPDATE: THIS TWEAK WILL NOT WORK WITH THE NEW BLOGGER REPLY COMMENT SYSTEM. CLICK ON 'REVERT WIDGET TEMPLATES TO DEFAULT' TO UNDER THIS TWEAK.

Quick Note: This tutorial doesn't teach how you can bring back your missing comment form - as it is highly likely that it is a problem with your browser. This tutorial teaches you how you can add a back-up link to allow your readers leave a comment in case your comment form doesn't appear in your readers' browsers.

The Blogger Comment system is an important part of any blog. Blogger gives you the option to either place the comment form embedded in your post page (known as 'Embedded below post'), or have the comment form in an external page. The external form placement comes in two different options - to load the external comment form from the current page (known as 'Full Page'), or pop-up a new window to load the external comment form (known as 'Pop-up window'). At any given time, you can only choose either one of the two options provided (either embedded or external placement).


Lot's of users prefer to have the comment form embedded within their post page because it is so convenient for readers to leave comments within the page itself. Besides, the external form placements have their own disadvantages when it is seen holistically. Full Page placement will overwrite 'over-load' the post page to open the comment page, and Pop-up Window placement will open a pop-up window, which will get blocked if pop-up blockers are installed at the reader's side.

Here comes the problem. Embedded comment forms are not foolproof either. Due to some browser problems, and/or add-on related issues, sometimes the embedded comment form becomes dysfunctional. I have experienced this at two different times, and until today, I could not identify what caused the problem. It just resolved by itself. But during that period, I could not leave any comments anywhere. This could happen to you too. You could lose lots of comments if your readers' browsers fail to make the embedded comment forms functional - and you'd be so clueless when it happens as usually it is not epidemic.

Solution: Place both embedded comment form and external comment form together. Embedded comment form as primary option as usual, and a link to external comment form as a back up! I spent lots of time to come up with this one, and I guarantee you, this is first on net!


Step 1:

In old Blogger Interface: Go to Dashboard - Settings - Comments.

See the page's address - get the BlogID number. Mine is 6862926392681704882


Step 2:

Under the same page, for Comment Form Placement, choose 'Embedded below post' - Save Settings.



Step 3:

Go to Dashboard - Design - Edit HTML - Download Full Template (for backup purposes) - Check the box next to 'Expand Widget Templates' - Find for these lines:
<b:if cond='data:post.allowNewComments'>
  <b:include data='post' name='comment-form'/>
<b:else/>
Replace them with the following lines:
<b:if cond='data:post.allowNewComments'>
<!-- YoBoY Multiple Comments Starts -->
<script type='text/javascript'>
document.write(
&quot;&lt;a href=&#39;https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=INSERT_BLOG_ID_HERE&amp;postID=&quot;+&#39;<data:post.id/>&#39;+&quot;&amp;isPopup=true&#39; target=&#39;_blank&#39;&gt;INSERT_MESSAGE_HERE&lt;/a&gt;&quot;);
</script>
<!-- YoBoY Multiple Comments Ends -->
  <b:include data='post' name='comment-form'/>
<b:else/>
Once you've pasted in the new modified code, replace INSERT_BLOG_ID in line 5 with your Blog's ID that you have gotten from Step 1.

Next, replace INSERT_MESSAGE_HERE with a suitable message, something like "Click here to leave a comment if the box below does not work" or something to that effect. Here's a look at an example of the fully completed code:
<b:if cond='data:post.allowNewComments'>
<!-- YoBoY Multiple Comments Starts -->
<script type='text/javascript'>
document.write(
&quot;&lt;a href=&#39;https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6862926392681704882&amp;postID=&quot;+&#39;<data:post.id/>&#39;+&quot;&amp;isPopup=true&#39; target=&#39;_blank&#39;&gt;Click here to leave a comment if the box below does not work&lt;/a&gt;&quot;);
</script>
<!-- YoBoY Multiple Comments Ends -->
  <b:include data='post' name='comment-form'/>
<b:else/>
Now save the template. Go see your post-page, and you'll have the option to post a comment both in embedded form and in external form! So in case one doesn't work, the other one is there as a back up!
Original code in place:


Modified code in place:


Have fun. Oh, BTW, I self-taught a little bit of Java/Javascript to myself solely for the sake of this tutorial. I know lots of programming languages, and I have received formal education for some of them, but Java/Javascript is not one of them. So if you copy this and act like its your own work, you're the biggest douche on the planet. Now go have fun. Seriously :)

44 comments:

  1. oh! thankyou man i was just looking for this tutorial..
    can you tell me how to put this link in a image ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @rtgg: I'm sorry I don't quite get what you meant. What link do you want to put in an image?

    Cheers and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Yoboy: i wanna put this link "Click here to leave a comment if the box below does not work" into an image before the comment form. how to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @freeback: It can be done theoretically, but for some unknown reasons it is not appearing when I'm trying it. I will update the post if I can come up with a solution. Cheers and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no comment box, maybe I was wrong press before. how can i do? please help me.. thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Misstaikburuk: Looks like you've broken your blog. Let's fix it. In step 3, did you back up your template? If you did, now will be a good time to restore it. If you didn't, well, let's try something else.

    1) Back up your template now. Go to Dashboard - Template - Backup/Restore - Download Full Template - Save the resulting .xml file somewhere safe in your computer.

    2) Next, let's restore things to order. Under the same page, click on Edit HTML - Proceed - Revert widget templates to default.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing a code...........

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Neel: No problem at all :) Cheers and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Do you have a tutorial for adding numbers to comments on blogger posts?
    This is the blog I'm working on: http://craftspotbykimberly.blogspot.com/
    I've tried this here...
    http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/blog-secrets/231-new-how-to-number-comments-on-blog-posts.html
    and this...
    http://www.doncaprio.com/2011/11/number-comments-blogger-how-to-blogspot.html

    neither seem to add numbers to each comment, I can get the code to work on my practice blog, but not on the above blog.
    Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin,

      I don't have a tutorial on this, but this link down here might be what you're looking for. Let me know if it isn't.

      http://www.miltrucosblogger.info/2012/01/numerar-los-nuevos-comentarios-anidados.html

      Delete
  10. Hello, thank you for all your tutorials, to be honest I've never seen such helpful site before, it is better than help center of google :) I had a question; I would like to have comment option available on pages in dynamic view, I've read some websites, they all say it can be done under posts in edit posts, just allowing comments but it really doesn't work for me, can this tutorial help? or do you have another solution for only pages? I would be glad if you could help me. Thanks for reading. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LT! And sorry for the late reply. The Page comment link seems to be broken. It doesnt show as of now, even in my blog. Tell you what. Leave a question discussion in Google Help Forum, and get back to me with its link. I'll escalate the thread to a Google employee.

      Delete
    2. Hello, Your tutorials are of great help for me infact whenever I find any modifications to be done in my blog I come to your site. This time I need your help in including comment form in my blog jnaanasudha as I am not able to take back up or to find the mentioned expand widget option in my blog. Request you to have a look at my blog and help me with the issue. please refer the bloglink http://jnaanasudha.blogspot.in/

      Delete
    3. Hi Hari,

      You're using the new comment system. As stated in the update tag above, this tweak will not work on the newer comment system.

      Apart from that, as for a generic sanity check, your comment form is working fine.. Did you see a problem in it before?

      Delete
    4. Hello sir,

      yes there is a problem with it. When somebody tries to enter their comment , their comments are not getting posted. Can you please look into the issue? I need a comment form like the one in your blog ...

      Delete
    5. The comment system in your blog is exactly the same as the one I have here in my blog. And I have just left two comments in your latest posts, and they look fine. There isn't anything wrong with your comments:

      http://jnaanasudha.blogspot.com/2013/05/mother.html?showComment=1369155841912#c1886559169643699168

      Delete
  11. Hi blogger!comment form is not showing up on my blog can please help me out of this...but showing on trending stories 1 post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ramesh,

      Have you got it sorted? Have you enabled comments in your blog settings and post settings?

      Delete
  12. Lot's of things are not showing in your blog. Either your template came broken or you've mis-tweaked along the way. In any case, it might be a good idea to start fresh instead of trying to fix things from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Previously my comment box won't show up, so I search any info about that problem, then I found this post. Step by step I followed your instructions and now my comment box show up.

    Thank you for sharing this helpful information :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yoga thank you for being helpful to all of us. I appreciate what you are doing.
    Please, my comment form is not visible until a reader clicks on "No Comments," and this is causing me to lose a lot of comments. What can I do to make both the already published comments and the comment form visible so that my readers can immediately see other people's comments and be able to drop theirs without having to click for the form to be revealed? I will appreciate a detailed instruction. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clinton,

      Comment form, and the actual comment box itself, are not meant to show on the homepage - this is the default behaviour for Blogger's comment system, and there isn't a way for us to change it. That said, I think I've seen blogs using third party comment systems (like Disqus, of the top of my head), successfully doing so. You might wanna give it a try, but I strongly suggest to try on a dummy blog first, coz things could get messy since you're gonna have to temper with your template.

      Delete
  15. Thank you Yoga. I am going to give the "Disgus" thing a try and report back my progress. I see that your blog's comment form and actual comment box itself are visible. Did you use Disgus to achieve that or something else you did? Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comments and the box aren't showing in my homepage, just like yours.. They show in the post page, just like the one you're having :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you again for your prompt response, Yoga.
    Now I see a little misunderstanding: When I said mine is not showing, I meant it doesn't do so even in the post page. For example, I didn't have to click on anything to see other people's comments on your blog or to type my comment as I am doing now. But on mine, before a visitor (or even myself, while reading my own blog posts) can see other people's comment or write a comment, he/she will have to click on the comment link (where it says "No Comments," or when there is a comment, "7 comments," or "9 Comments," and so on) to do so. I request you please visit my blog and see what I mean. http://sixthsensing.blogspot.com
    Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clinton,

      This here is your Homepage: --> http://sixthsensing.blogspot.com/
      Comments won't show by default in your homepage, just like mine --> http://www.southernspeakers.net/

      On the other hand, this page here is my post page --> http://www.southernspeakers.net/2011/01/blogger-multiple-comment-forms.html .. You don't have to click on anything for comments to show in your post page. Just like the very first post page in your blog --> http://sixthsensing.blogspot.com/2014/02/2nd-dose-with-this-one-pill-cure-all_17.html

      Delete
  17. Oh, now I understand better. Thank you for your patience with me, Yoga. You have been an incredible help, and I am immensely grateful. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi yoga,
    i am facing a problem on my blog. The comments on my blog are not showing on computer whereas if i open the blog on mobile then the comments are showing.
    Can you help me out with this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Balesh,

      Let's have a look at your blog. What's your blog's address?

      Delete
  19. how to show comments under the post along with comment form as displayed in this your post.

    mine not appearing @ http://imlostsoul.blogspot.in/2014/09/blog-post_18.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Go to Dashboard - Settings - Posts and comments - Comment Location - Embedded

      Delete
  20. please i am having same problem as comment is not showing after clicking the post a comment, it does not show the comment form on mobile.how do i fix it because i want visitors to click the post a comment and want the comment form to appear on the mobile after clicking.here is the site http://www.testingvid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see your comment form just find in both desktop and mobile view. Have you got this sorted?

      Delete
  21. tried a lot of tips online but still no solution huhuhu its driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://makatiangfeet.blogspot.com/ here is my blog and i tried a lot of things, comments unable to published and no comment box, i dont know what im doing wrong but i assure that i follow the procedure, is it the template? but as I copy the codes, nothing changes. Thanks in advance if someone can help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see comments in your page. Have you got this sorted?

      http://makatiangfeet.blogspot.jp/2015/01/dogs-get-jealous-too_4.html#gpluscomments

      Delete
  23. Great. it works perfectly, as a new page (full page) but how can i remove the IM NOT A ROBOT function in your code.pls help. tq very much email : enfabird@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. owh btway, when i view using lappy, my POST A COMMENT, DOESnt work at all except if i use my hp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To remove the 'I'm not a robot' verification, go to Dashboard - Settings - Post and Comments - and select No under 'Show word verification'. But be warned, you will likely get lots of spams when this is turned off.

      What is your blog's URL btw?

      Delete

Please use the 'Ask a Question' page to shoot questions that are not related to the tutorial in the post above.